Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Andrew's Birthday SeaWorld Extravaganza!

As I mentioned in Andrew's birthday blog, he wanted to go to SeaWorld for his birthday. It may seem like a really big birthday present to go to SeaWorld, but it is also our last pre-busy season fun family trip. I already feel bad enough that Rory's birthday is during busy season, and it is highly unlikely that I'll be able to take her birthday off, let alone do a big trip like this, but such is life. Anyway, we left Saturday morning for California with hopes to get to the hotel around check-in time. The trip was a little different for us. We have gone on a lot of road trips in our minivan as a family, but this time we had Nicole's mom and sister with us as well so we didn't have our usual set up. But it wasn't bad at all, well at least not for me. But I didn't sit in the back seat at all. Anyway we got to National City and found the hotel/motel/inn (whatever), and we were happy to get out of the car. We got our rooms and got the car unloaded, then we hung out for a little while and tried to decide where to eat. We finally settled on Cafe Coyote in Old Town San Diego. It was a lot of fun, especially when a balloon artist came by our table and made a monkey for Andrew and a wand for Rory. And not too long after that we were seronaded with "La Cucaracha." Dinner was quite tasty. The kids were very excited because after dinner they got to take their menus that they colored and trade them in for some candy at the Candy Shoppe. Then we went into this little store where they sold these cute little finger puppets. Rory and Andrew both got one. Then Andrew wanted another one, and ended up with four. He is the birthday boy after all and he did have birthday money from Bampa Neigh, Aunt Julie, and my mom, and Meemaw was there in person--you know how grandmas love to spoil their grandkids. We headed back to the hotel and went to bed because we were going to SeaWorld the next day.
We wanted to be at SeaWorld around the time that they opened, so we got up and got ready and hit the road around 8:45am. We got to SeaWorld and were all very excited to get started. Andrew loves Dolphins and he really wanted to feed them. At least he did until we went to the dolphin tank where you do the feeding. While Nicole was standing in line for the next feeding time, I took the kids to the other side where you could put your hands in the water and touch a dolphin if they happened to swim up to you. Well one dolphin came up and some people were touching it when it splashed them. Andrew and Rory both decided they didn't want to be that close to the dolphins, so we decided feeding them probably wasn't the way to go. We headed over to Shipwreck Reef to the touch pond where the kids were excited to touch the starfish. Andrew wanted to touch the REALLY big starfish, so of course Rory did as well.Then we stopped to watch the sea turtles on our way to the dolphin show, Blue Horizons. This octopus thing was right by the sea turtles and the kids wanted to take their pictures in front of the tile octopus. They love being photographed, and I love taking pictures of them.This show was new since the last time we were here in 2009. It was pretty good, but it seemed like a lot more people and birds than dolphins. Nicole and I agreed that a dolphin show should primarily exhibit the dolphins. Andrew and Rory didn't care though. They were riveted.
After the dolphin show, we went to the new sea turtle exhibit, Turtle Reef. We watched a diver feed a bunch of sea turtles. It was pretty cool. Then Andrew and Rory had fun driving a boat. One of the things that Andrew definitely wanted to get at SeaWorld was a stuffed sea turtle. There is an episode of Diego with a sea turtle named Douga, so Andrew wanted to buy Douga. And what better place than Turtle Reef to find Douga? So Andrew bought his sea turtle. We were going to go to the Sea Lion show, but it started before we could get over there. So we decided to go get some lunch and then go watch the new Orca show, One Ocean. On the way there, the ladies needed to use the rest room, so Andrew and I went to watch the sea lions eat. They are very funny animals--and noisy too! Next, we headed over to Shipwreck Reef Cafe to get something to eat. Mom and Trish got their food before the kids and us. When they were done eating they went to get seats for us at the show. The show was pretty good, but I think that I like the old one better. After that the kids were acting rather tired, so we wanted them to lay down in the stroller and take a nap. Andrew wanted his Douga and Rory wanted a flamingo that she had seen earlier in the day. I ran to buy Rory's flamingo, while Nicole headed to the front of the park to get Andrew's Douga (we had it sent to their "purchase-and-pick-up-later" location). The kids fell asleep rather quickly. While they were sleeping Nicole sat with them while I went on the Journey to Atlantis ride. Nicole wanted to rest and I wanted to go on the ride, and the line wasn't too long, so that's what we did. After that we went to the Wild Arctic and then Penguin Encounter, where Andrew bought Penguin slippers.
After that Andrew wanted to go see the sharks. I was going to take Andrew because Rory didn't want to see sharks, but the line was really long. I asked Andrew if he really wanted to see the sharks because we would have to wait in line for a long time. He said that it was fine if he didn't see the sharks. So we decided to go ride the Bayside Skyride. I rode with Andrew and the girls all rode together. After that we went on the Sky Tower. By then we were getting tired, so we went over to the Sesame Street Bay of Play and sat down for a bit while the kids played in the soft play pit. Well Nicole sat and watch Rory play while I chased Andrew up the net, over the bridge, and down the twirly slide. Then the kids and Meemaw and I rode some of the rides. Then we made our way towards the park exit, but stopped to get some more souvenirs. We had a lot of fun at Seaworld.
On Monday we went to Kellogg Park. It's the beach that we went to the last time we were in San Diego, and we had a lot of fun playing in the sand, relaxing on the beach, and jumping in the waves. I even got Andrew to go in the waves and he had a lot of fun. Both of the kids were really cute playing at the beach. There isn't a whole lot to tell because we just had fun at the beach for most of the day.
That night we went to Anthony's for dinner. Then after dinner we walked along the dock or wharf or whatever it is. Andrew and Rory wanted to take a picture with the dolphin statue and a ship.Today we made the trip back home. The ride home wasn't too bad, but now it's back to busy season for me. I'm really glad that we were able to have a quick family vacation before I get really busy again. I had a great time with my family, and I think Andrew had a pretty great birthday celebration.

No comments: