Thursday, April 18, 2013

Andrew's First Kindergarten Field Trip/11 Year Anniversary

I know what you're thinking--"that is a weird blog title."  But the fact of the matter was Andrew's first field trip in Kindergarten just happened to be on our anniversary.  It also happened to be the day when the cookie dough from his school fund raiser was available, and since Nicole is in PATT, she helped at the school for several hours passing out cookie dough.  Regrettably, I have not done too well in the anniversary department.  I'll have to make next year a good one.  Anyhow, Andrew's field trip was to a local dairy farm.  Nicole was originally going to go with him as his teacher asked for several parent volunteers, but she didn't really want to go to the farm again.  It was the same one she went to with his preschool field trip.  He said he would be fine if she didn't come, then added, "Daddy can come!"  He got very excited about this idea, so I took the day off and went on the field trip with him.  It was fun to be with him and watch him interact with his school friends.  Nicole has helped out in Mrs. Wood's class quite a bit this year, so she knows all of the kids in his class, but it was nice for me to be able to put faces to names that I always hear him talking about.  Andrew was so excited to be able to ride on a school bus.  He said it was his first time on a bus, and I told him that it really wasn't.  He rode on a bus with me when we lived in Utah.  But it was his first time on a school bus. 
We got to the farm and got to try their flavored milk. 
Then we played corn hole and took a class picture on a big pile of hay bales. 
Then we went on a wagon ride around the dairy and the farmer told us all about the cows and their processes.  Some of it was pretty interesting.  After that we got to do the "petting zoo" and we even held a rooster. 
We ate lunch and then left the farm to go to the park.  Andrew had a lot of fun playing with his friends, and Nicole and Rory came to join us while we were at the park.  I rode the bus back to school with Andrew and Nicole drove over to the school to help out with the cookie dough.  She was there until past the kid's bedtime.  We got them in bed and then I went to get Cheescake Factory for dinner and we relaxed and watched a movie together.  Probably not our worst anniversary, but definitely not our best.

No comments: