After the beach we headed to the pools. They were very nice. They have an infinity pool where if you look out from the pool it looks like it goes on straight out into the ocean and on forever. It was beautiful. They had a kiddie pool that was only a foot deep.
Later in the afternoon we put the kids down for a nap in our room and Mom stayed in her room with the monitor. It was then time for me to make a trek into Downtown Cancun to go shopping at Wal-Mart. We figured, since our hotel rooms had kitchenettes, that it would be cheaper to buy groceries for the week rather than eating out all the time. I decided to take the bus downtown as it is A LOT cheaper than a taxi. I caught the bus in front of the hotel and it took about 30 minutes to arrive downtown. When I got downtown I took my life into my own hands and ran across several busy streets. I don't think they know what cross walks and signals are down there. Anyway I made it safely to Wal-Mart and found out that not all Wal-Marts are created equal. It was a very different shopping experience. Thank goodness I can read and speak Spanish, otherwise I don't know if I would have made it. I found almost everything we needed, though not always how I expected it. Milk, for example, is sold in boxes and isn't in the refrigerator section. Yogurt has some very different flavors in Mexico. Bagels don't exist. And as we found out throughout the week, things really don't even taste the same. The good side to this story is that I spent only a little bit more on food for the entire week than we had spent on dinner the night before. I was going to try to go back to the hotel on the bus as well, but there was no way I was going to be able to carry all of those groceries. So I got a taxi to take me back. When I got back to the hotel, I put things away as necessary and went to find the rest of my family back in the pool.
Nicole had quite the story for me. Trish and Nicole were going to relax by the pool while the kids took a nap and Mom stayed in her room with the monitor. Well I guess Rory wasn't really in the napping mood, so Mom had kept her in the room with her and it was just Andrew in our room. At some point Andrew woke up and Mom didn't hear him. He opened the door and went out in the hallway to look for me. Mom heard a man talking through the monitor asking Andrew where his dad was. She freaked out and ran out of her room yelling, "Andrew, Andrew." She saw this guy holding Andrew, and Andrew was just hugging the guy with his head in his shoulder. He asked her if she knew this boy, and she told him he is her grandson. The guy said he was walking up and down the hall calling for his dada. Needless to say it was a bit scary, and we made sure Andrew understood not to go out of the room when he woke up from his nap. We pretty much spent the rest of the afternoon down by the pools. We ate a quick and easy dinner.
Then we decided to walk across the street to check out the mall. We walked around for a little bit. This giant Hooter's Owl is a bobble-head--it was pretty cool.
The only air in the ball is what they pump it up with. As you are attempting to run or just stay on your feet for that matter, it is a real workout. I was breathing so heavily, and I think I sucked up most of the oxygen. So the ball was filled with my hot breath and sweat. It wasn't too bad while I was in there, but the second they opened it up and fresh air came in I felt so faint and thought I was going to puke my guts out. I sat down for a minute to recuperate. Then we walked around some more and looked in some shops. At one point Rory wanted me to hold her and I felt like I was going to fall over. I handed her to Mom and sat down on the ground. Soon after that we headed back to the hotel. Then the kids watched a little bit of a movie while we got ready for bed and we hit the sack. Nicole asked how I was feeling. I told her that I didn't want to go to sleep because every time I closed my eyes I felt like I was in that ball again.
No comments:
Post a Comment