Friday, May 21, 2010

Graduation Trip: Cancun, Mexico-Day 5

For those of you who got tired of reading Day 4 this one will be much shorter. The morning was typical for us. When Rory went down for her nap Nicole and I took Andrew up to "El Templo de Alacran" (The Scorpion's Temple). It is an ancient Mayan ruin that is right next to the hotel. When we got up there the activities people were feeding an iguana and they asked Andrew if he wanted to feed the iguana. He tried once by himself, but when the iguana went to eat the lettuce he freaked out a bit and almost poked it in the eye. So Nicole helped him try again. When we were coming back down from the temple Andrew saw a bird. He loved scaring off these birds by yelling and running after them. It was very funny!


We had decided that we were going to go into Downtown Cancun to go to "Mercado 28". This is the place where you do all the bargaining that you hear about, and where you get the authentic, hand-made Mexican souvenirs. Since the bus is the cheapest way to get downtown, we went and caught the bus in front of the hotel. Rory was so cute! The movement of the bus would bounce her up and down on my knee, but when the bus wasn't bouncing her she would start bouncing herself and saying "Ride, ride, ride." We got downtown and I wasn't really sure where to go, but another guy on the bus was also headed to Mercado 28 and said we could follow him. People there were very nice. It was an interesting experience. I have never had so many people talking to me, trying to get me to buy what they were selling. It was so loud in my head. I think we ended up getting some good souvenirs though. I wanted a cheap pair of Oakley sunglasses. I picked these up for about $11.Meemaw bought Rory a cute little doll and a purse, and she bought Andrew a dolphin necklace made of coral to remember the dolphin show we saw the night before. Nicole and I bought Andrew a set of musical instruments (flute, guitar, morrocas, etc.) and a top. It kind of ended being for Andrew and Rory. They both love to play with those toys. Nicole wasn't really interested in getting anything for herself. We were still at the mercado when it was lunchtime and decided to eat at one of the restaurants. I was told that I could get good, authentic Mexican food there in the market. I don't know if I picked a bad restaurant or if I don't really know what good, authentic Mexican food is, but it was not what I was expecting. A funny thing happened while we were there. The waitress (Wendy) asked me how I learned spanish. I told her that I was a missionary for our church a long time ago. She asked what church, so I told her. She got the biggest smile on her face and proceeded to tell me that two Mormon missionaries come to her house every week to teach her and that she is getting baptized in a month. She was very nice. After all of the walking around and not wanting to walk the 5 blocks back to the bus stop, Mom decided that she would rather take a taxi back to the hotel.


When we got back to the hotel, the kids were ready for a nap. They had fallen asleep in the taxi. While they were napping, Nicole and I went down to the beach to play beach soccer. It is quite a different experience. It is not easy running around on sand trying to keep control of the ball. Nicole got a nice souvenir from that. I accidentally kicked her right above here ankle. My toe nail left a cut and she has a huge bruise. Sorry honey! Anyway while we were out there it started to rain a little bit. And it only got worse from there. I ended up barbecuing hamburgers in the rain. That was fun! At least it was still warm. The rest of the night we just relaxed.

No comments: