Sunday, June 26, 2011

Summer Vacation 2011: Day 2

We woke up this morning with the plan to get to Disneyland as close as we could to opening. We got there just after 8:30 and took our first steps inside of Disneyland. As soon as we got inside the park we saw Mickey Mouse. What luck! Nicole and the kids went and waited in line to see Mickey while I went and got them "1st Visit to Disneyland" pins. Andrew surpised us as he ran right up to Mickey and gave him a big hug. Rory was a different story. She got really scared. We finally got her to give him a "high five." We did get some really cute pictures with Mickey. After we saw Mickey we went to the rides that the kids wanted to do first. Andrew chose the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters ride and Rory chose Dumbo. The kids were very cute on the Buzz Lightyear ride shooting Zurg with their Astroblasters. As soon as we got off the ride we went into the store and Nicole bought Andrew his own Astroblaster. He was so excited! He had seen one the night before and wanted it, but after going on the ride he was so thrilled to have his own. He told me that I was Zurg and kept shooting me. Then we headed over to Dumbo. We made a pit-stop at the Pinnochio ride because there was no line. Andrew didn't like it very much. Then we went to Dumbo and stood in line for awhile. Right before it was our turn to get on the ride, it broke. They said that they should have it fixed soon, so we waited. Rory wanted to ride Dumbo! The kids were very excited when they got inside their pink Dumbos.Rory liked making Dumbo go up and down and up and down. She was very cute!Right outside the Dumbo ride they have this photo-op Dumbo, so I got a photo of Nicole and Rory in Dumbo.After Dumbo we went on "Casey Junior coming down the track." The kids chose to ride in the monkey car and they were such cute little monkeys.




After that we headed over to Small World. We told Rory that they had a ride with a whole bunch of dolls. She was ecstatic! For any of you who know Rory, a place with a bunch of dolls is her heaven. And it turned out that both of the kids really liked the ride. They have made some additions to Small World by adding in a bunch of characters from different Disney movies. The kids were very excited to see some of their favorite characters.

We then headed over to Mickey's Toon Towne. We wanted Andrew to try out the small roller coaster in Toon Town to see if he would like it and try Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. We went and rode on Gadget's G0-Coaster.
The kids absolutely loved it. As soon as we got off they both asked if we could do it again. But we saw Minnie Mouse outside her house and decided to go see her. Andrew went right up to her and gave her a hug. Rory got really scared again and wouldn't even say hi. It made Minnie sad. After a little bit of coaxing, she calmed down a little bit and gave Minnie "five" (or four--depending on your point of view.)Minnie is such a flirt. She totally asked for a peck on the cheek. Should Mickey be jealous?After we saw Minnie, we walked through her house. And then we went back to Gadget's Go-Coaster. The kids really liked that one! Then Rory stole Mickey's car and went for a drive. After that we left Toon Town, we decided that it was time to get some lunch. We stopped at the Village Haus in Fantasy Land and ate lunch, afterwhich we decided to go on Pirates of the Caribbean. I wasn't too sure how the kids would feel about that one, but they seemed to enjoy it. It was kind of different to go on this ride. Since the movies came out they have added several Captain Jack Sparrow characters to the scenes. Andrew said that he wanted to go get some of that pirate booty.After Pirates the kids wanted to go up in Tarzan's tree house. When we walked by Sabor, he growled really loudly at Andrew and I thought he was gonna wet himself. I have never seen him back away from something so quickly. Another part that the kids liked was the camp at the base of the tree house. If you have seen Tarzan, you know what this means...Shoobeedoopdobbidopdoobeedoopdobbadobbadeedum. Then Andrew swung on a rope, and I just had to give it a try. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Next we went over to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Rory was too little to go on that ride, but Andrew wanted to go on it. It was a lot of fun, but there was one part where you go in a cave and there are some red glowing eyes that look like bat eyes. He didn't like that! We had planned on him going on it again with Nicole, but he said that he didn't want to. After a little bit of coaxing and telling him that he could cover his eyes, he agreed to go again. Nicole said that he covered his eyes, but not just for the "bat eyes" part--for the whole ride. Then the kids wanted to go on the Finding Nemo ride. We walked over there and the wait was almost an hour long. Rory was acting kind of tired, so we talked about going back to the hotel for naps. Andrew said that he wasn't tired and that he wanted to go on Splash Mountain. We started walking that way and after not too long Andrew was out like a light. So Nicole and I decided that it would be a good time to do some shopping. We walked around and looked in several different stores. It was fun! After the kids woke up, we headed back to Find Nemo. I remember the submarine ride from when I was a little kid and went to Disneyland. It is pretty cool that they made it about Nemo. The kids thought it was really cool to go under the ocean and see Nemo, Marlin, Dory, Squirt, Crush, and all their friends. After we found Nemo, we headed toward the parade route. We noticed that the line for Matterhorn wasn't very long so we decided to go on that before we got a spot for the parade. I rode with Andrew and Nicole rode with Rory. Nicole said that Rory did good except that she slipped down, almost out of the seatbelt. Andrew tried to cover his eyes during the whole ride like he did on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad with Nicole, but I didn't let him. I did cover his eyes when we saw the Yetti. They said that the ride was okay, but they didn't love it. Next we sat and watched Mickey's Soundsational Parade. I took a ton of pictures, but here are some of our favorites.

At one point Nicole had Mary Poppins on our Netflix queue, but though the kids would be bored with it, but after seeing Mary Poppins in the parade, they wouldn't stop singing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I guess we'll have to get it after we get home.After the parade was over we asked the kids what they wanted to go on next. Andrew said that he wanted to go on the one where you fly in rockets. So we headed to Tomorrowland. So basically I see this ride as the Dumbo ride of the future. You sit in something and fly around in circles and go up and down. But there was someting about this one that did not like my tummy. The kids and Nicole loved it, but I got pretty sick. Luckily I didn't vomit. After the rocket ride we went back to the hotel to put on warmer clothes. Then we went back to watch Magical, a Firework Spectacular. I think my favorite part of that is when Tinkerbell flies out on the zipline, and then they do the same kind of thing with Dumbo. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but it was great seeing how much our kids enjoyed it. They were absolutely enthralled. After that we headed over to New Orleans Square to sit down and wait for Fantasmic. I love that show. I really love seeing how the kids react to the different things we are experiencing here. Then we trudged back to the hotel. And now it is bed-time because I am exhausted. Luckily we can sleep in a bit tomorrow because we are going to the beach for the day.

1 comment:

Julianne said...

Wow!! Disneyland has changed a lot in 17 years!! I guess I'd better go with you the next time you go!! Great pictures!!