Monday, May 2, 2011

Campouts & Sleepovers

Nicole found out a couple of weeks ago from one of her Visiting Teaching sisters that there was going to be a Father/Son campout this past weekend. She told me about it and we talked to Andrew to see if he wanted to go on a campout with Daddy. The answer was a big YES. I haven't been camping in a tent (once in the back of my pickup truck) since July, 2002. We wanted to make sure we had a tent that would work, so for Family Fun Night last week we set up the tent in Meemaw's living room (it was too windy outside). The kids thought it was the coolest thing. Andrew wanted to sleep in it right there.
Since the boys were going to go camping, Nicole thought it would be fun for her, Rory, and Meemaw to have a girl's night/sleepover at Meemaw's house. On Friday I got off work, and came home to finish getting things ready for our weekend adventures. The place we were going camping was at Flowing Springs, just north of Payson (about 1 1/2 hours from home). We dropped Rory and Nicole off at Meemaw's house and hit the road. After about 10 minutes or so Andrew said, "Dad, I don't see the campout." I told him that we would have to drive for a while before he would see the campout. When we got there, Andrew was so excited. He saw one of his friends and ran off to play, at least until he saw me bring the tent over. Then he wanted to help set up the tent. We got the tent set up, and brought the rest of our gear from the car. When I got Andrew's bed set up, he asked if he could go to bed now. I think that he thinks camping is sleeping in a tent, and that is what we were going to do. I told him that it wasn't time for bed yet, and we hadn't even eaten dinner. They had dinner ready not too long after that. We went over to see what was for dinner, and Andrew told me, "Dad, that's a pig. I don't want to eat that!" I tried some, but it wasn't very good. I don't know if I got a bad piece or what, but I didn't like it. So Andrew ate a yogurt for dinner, and then he got a surprise...Jumbo Marshmallows. And we ate like ten of those. After stuffing himself with marshmallows Andrew got tired and told me that he wanted to go to bed. I told him that he could but that I wasn't ready for bed yet. I got him ready for bed and tucked him in.

I told him that I would be right outside if he needed me. I went out and sat by the fire. Not long after I heard "Daddy." He wanted to come outside with me. We had a really nice fireside, and then we both went to bed. It got cold fast up there, and I didn't want Andrew to get too cold so I told him that if he got too cold he could sleep in my sleeping bag with me. About 10 minutes after tucking him in he got cold. Then he wanted to go back in his bed, then he wanted to come back in my bed. I have to say that was probably the worst night's sleep that I have had in a REALLY long time. The sun came up shortly after 5am, and that meant that it was time to get up, according to Andrew. It was fine with me because I wasn't comfortable laying down in the tent anyway. It was still really cold, so we went and sat by the fire. One of our friends had a worse night than I did. His daughter spent most of the night throwing up--not fun! Anyway as I said before, Andrew's idea of camping is sleeping in a tent, so he was pretty much done, and our friend wanted to get his sick little girl home so we packed up and headed home. I think Andrew had fun on his campout with Dad, and despite the not so good sleep I had a great time with him.


I obviously wasn't there for the girl's weekend, but what I know is that the girls did nails and hair, ate Quiznos for dinner, watched a movie, and went to Trish's Special Olympics meet, where Trish took home a Gold Medal. We were all very proud of her. I think they had a fun weekend as well.

No comments: